Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I am a Doula-it is not always pretty but always appreciated!

Do you know what a Doula is?  A few years, ago, well probably more like 10 years ago I helped a very good friend deliver her baby at home.  There was a midwife but I was a Doula.  I helped with support, love and getting things that the Midwife needed. 

Since that time my doula duties have expanded.
I have been a real estate doula and most recently a doodie doula.

You may be wondering what a doodie doula is and I will tell you.

I can't imagine why anyone would not want to make a doodie if they had to make a doodie.  But my children have struggled with this.  Too busy?  Watching television?  I am sorry but this is something that I don't ignore. 
Anyway recently I took on the role of doodie doula.  It didn't occur to me that I was actually a doodie doula until I was in the thick of it with my youngest son but there were so many uncanny similiarities to the actually birthing of a baby to helping a constipated child make a doodie I thought I would share with you.  Just in case you find yourself in a similiar situation, as a doodie coach, you will know what to do.  Who knew that my doula duties of so long ago were skills that could be transferable.

When to get involved or when is your kid in labor?
Things to look for:
Instead of bloody show you will notice doodie show on the child's underpants
Contractions start, irritability, denial "no I don't need to make a doodie" 
Yeah right I say
The first time this happened I had to use a suppository to assist with the so called 'birth'
We place and then we wait, up to an hour.  You know your child is not really in full labor if he is asking for food at this point.
Warn your child that when he starts to feel the need he must run to the toilet and find you.

We arrive in the bathroom, we are face to face, I am squatting in front of him, he is crying, no I don't need to go, he says. 
I say yes you do.  Relax and push. 
The contractions start, Take a break, relax, breath, okay push again. 
I can see it, it is coming.
Rest, more crying, it hurts.
I know but you will feel so much better.
Breath, push, push, push, keep pushing.  I see it I see it, keep pushing!
And it is out!  The doodie is born.  Thank God!
He is so happy, elated.  So relieved, so proud of himself.
And me?  If this is not real love and true mothering I don't know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment