Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Sorry, these aren't your glasses

About a year ago my two older sons received their first pair of glasses.  I am happy to say that my children have for the most part inherited my husband's good eyes.  Mine on the other hand are not so great.  I have worn glasses since first grade.
Well when my middle son came home from sleep over camp at the end of August he was finally wearing his glasses. It only took about 8 months for him to warm up to the idea of actually seeing things clearer. 

About 1 month ago the glasses broke, the lens fell out when he was away with my mother and step-father on a social studies vacation in Atlanta to learn about Martin Luther King and the Coca Cola Factory.  According to my 8 year old there were huge crowds at the Coca Cola Factory and not so many people interested in all of the wonderful work of Martin Luther King. (What a wonderful commentary on our current society)
Anyway, I try to be a good mother and the glasses broke again this past weekend.  Rami (my middle one) didn't actually tell me until I saw him squinting and asked him where his glasses were. Well they are in the basement but I can't find one of the lenses.  Great, I thought, these are $300 dollar glasses.
I go down and find the wayward lens under the couch and head off to lens crafters.  I really wanted to go to Ocean State Job Lot but I determined it is important for my son to be able to see clearly.

I go in and I am readying for battle.  I mean this is the 2nd time in 2 months that this glasses have broken.  The woman was very nice and looked up Rami in the computer and then looked a the glasses and said to me, "These are not the glasses we made and sold to you for your son Rami"
"What?" 
She then searches the computer and determines that these glasses, my son has been wearing are my husbands old glasses. 
Of course this she had never seen, what are the chances of this happening?  I feel I should earn some sort of award, prize money, but then again my kid is not wearing the right glasses. 
She replaces the lens, tightens it down and I leave.
It is all starting to make sense now.  A pair of very nice glasses as been sitting on the bookcase in my kitchen and when I ask whose they are, no one claims them.
Rami arrives from school and I tell him that I went to have his glasses fixed and guess what Ram?  They are not your glasses.  These are.  I hand him the correct pair and he puts them on and says he can't see out of them.  Unbelievable. 
Time to set up another appointment with the eye doctor.  
Rami left for school today with his father's old glasses. 

1 comment:

  1. This is hilarious, as are the other entries. You could put together a great book with these short stories. Your day to day life is so interesting and human. :)

    ReplyDelete